VEGAS UNWRAPPED with Ricky Cash & Aaron Phillips

Vegas Unwrapped's Fan Box

Vegas Unwrapped on Facebook

SOCIAL MEDIA EXPLOSION

Monday, February 8, 2010

News and Notes 02/08/2010



Wow, what a great sports weekend topped off with a Super Bowl that lived up to its expectations and produced a champion that represents more than a football teams victory.

Nothing attracts more passion and compassion than an underdog. In this case the underdog was not the New Orleans Saints football team, remember they were the number one seed from the NFC, but the entire Gulf Coast of the United States. Not since 9/11 has there been as devastating event as Hurricane Katrina and the initial abysmal effort by the United States Government to come to the aid of this devastated area.

85 percent of the City of New Orleans was underwater. Imagine New York, Chicago or LA in that circumstance. The loss of life would be in the millions. In an ironic state of the times we live in it can be said that Haiti actually benefited by the disaster of Katrina. The outpouring of support and help worldwide immediately can certainly be attributed to the guilt that was produced in this country by our actions back then.

During the game as the Colts jumped out to an early 10-0 first quarter lead I thought like so many others I'm sure that this was the night that Peyton Manning would be crowned the greatest Quarterback of all time. Ultimately that very well might be debated in the future if he win a couple more Super Bowls, but not this night.

In speaking to so many family and friends who agreed they thought the Colts would win but they were rooting with all their hearts for the Saints.

Let's face it, as I believe most fans would agree, once your team has been eliminated in post season play your desire to be involved in the big game is hopefully to get invited to a good party with plenty of food and drink and decide which were the best commercials.

Yesterday was different. It won't surprise me if this is not the most watched Super Bowl of all time. Although the teams were very equal in talent it seemed like I was watching Rocky taking on Apollo Creed all over again.

I rarely root for the NFC representative in the Super Bowl with my allegiance to the Jets when I do make the switch, as I have in the last two years, I cover it by showing my 1-A team the Philadelphia Eagles.

When Payton threw that fourth quarter interception the noise level in my home could have broken glass.

I have traveled and lived in many wonderful places in this country. One place I have not been to is New Orleans. I have officially added it to my "Bucket List" of places I must see in this lifetime. Now that the country has New Orleans in the forefront of their thoughts perhaps now, we as a country can finish the job of revitalizing this area.

On the local front, the game between the UNLV Runnin' Rebels and it's arch rival 12th ranked BYU Cougars was the most exciting and best college basketball game I have ever attended in the 40+ years of loving this sport.

Nothing like being part of a full house crowd and watching your favorite team literally blowing out the opponent in such a dominating first half performance I have ever seen. This team has an excellent opportunity to do some serious damage in this years NCAA Tournament. For those who don't know this is the 20th year anniversary of UNLV Championship season under the legendary coach "Tark The Shark" Tarkanian a truly beloved figure in this star studded town.

Trust me, March Madness takes on a life of it's own here in Vegas. The Sports Books are packed and the action is non stop. For what it's worth I have been picking winners in this tournament for the last 30 years and my 78 percent winners is not too shabby at all.

More on that in the near future.

Finally it's less than 10 days now before pitchers and catchers report to Florida and Arizona. Hopes for a great comeback year for my New York Mets weighs heavily on my mind. Follow the Mets all season long on my Mets Blog at www.Rsmclosersblog.blogspot.com.

Belated congrats to Roger Federer and Serena Williams for their victories in the Australian Open and talk of a Tiger sighting leaving a sex addiction clinic in Georgia has him reappearing on the tour in time to ready himself for the Masters.

Many golfers have suggested that Tiger speaks out about his problem upon his return. I wholeheartedly reject this notion as frankly he owes nothing to these players, in fact, they could never in their lifetimes pay back Tiger for what he has done to make them able to achieve the purses and winning dollars that are now available on the PGA Tour.

In closing this week I am very satisfied with this past football season. My teams the Jets and the Eagles both made the playoffs and that was good enough this year for me.

Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment